Custom Rack Mount Chassis
For over 45 years, Pro-Type Industries, Incorporated has been specializing in precision sheet metal fabrication, supporting customers from some of the most demanding industries. In the project highlighted here, we worked with an electronics industry customer to manufacture a series of custom rack mount chassis for a government contract.
This project posed a number of significant challenges; the design was a combination of complex geometry and close tolerances, which were far greater than would typically be expected for this type of product. This was compounded by dozens of design variations with similar dimensions, variable lead times, as well as a number of change orders that had to be applied during production. Fortunately, at Pro-Type, throughout our history, we have invested heavily in new technology and cutting edge metal fabrication systems, which in this case gave us the ability to meet all of this customer’s requirements.
Composed of 18 gauge electro-galvanized steel, the customers drawings called out dimensional tolerances of ±.010" and hole tolerances of ± .003". The manufacturing process began on a CNC punch, followed by CNC laser cutting of more complex details, and then on a CNC press brake for forming. Quality control included first piece dimensional checks for each step of the multistep process, followed by a 100% visual inspection prior to hardware installation. At this stage the units went on to finishing, this came in the form of a complex powder coating process that included the application of intricate and time intensive masking and custom made artwork that our team developed in-house.
In the end we were able to overcome all of the difficulties that this project presented, the customer in turn was very pleased by the outcome. As a result we have been able to develop a long-term relationship with them, and have become their go-to source for metal fabrication.
For more information about this project or the processes used to create it, contact us directly.Request aCustom Quote
Custom Rack Mount Chassis Specifications
- Project Name & Description
- Custom Rack Mount Chassis
High-Accuracy Complex Sheet Metal Forming
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- CNC Punching (in-turret forming), Laser cutting, precision forming, hardware installation, complex powder coat/masking, custom made-in-house silkscreen artwork.
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Amada EMK 12’ x 4’ 33 Ton Electric turret punch, Mitsubishi 6000W Fiber Laser 10’ x 5’, Amada HDS 1703 10’ CNC press brake, Haeger hardware presses.
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 20” x 24” x 3”
- Tightest Tolerances
- ±.010” (hole tolerance ± .003”)
- Material Used
- 18GA Electrogalvanized steel
- Material Finish
- Fine Texture Powder Coat + epoxy silkscreen ink
- Industry for Use
- Federal - Electronics
- In Process Testing/Inspection Performed
- Flat Pattern inspection, first piece inspection for each operation in process, sample based mechanical inspection, 100% final visual inspection
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 4 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Virginia, USA